Green City Growers is New England’s premier urban farming company. We transform unused space into thriving urban farms, providing schools, homeowners, restaurants, businesses and communities with immediate access to nutritious food, while revitalizing city landscapes and inspiring self-sufficiency. Our clients include: Whole Foods Market, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, and B. GOOD restaurants. We currently run a number of production farms of various sizes, including Fenway Farms at Fenway Park and the rooftop farm at the Lynnfield Whole Foods.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a hands-on team in a quickly growing company that is dedicated to developing sustainable onsite food production systems.
Green City Growers, or GCG, is growing and is looking to hire a remote urban farmer and educator for the RI/CT area. This position is part time at about 20 hours per week, with the possibility of developing into a full time job. This is a perfect position for someone who is motivated by something larger than themselves, someone who loves the outdoors, a self-starter with the ability to see you work through with a high degree of independence, has two to three years farming experience and is looking for a part-time opportunity. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, a positive attitude, be present and transparent, maintain a strong sense of personal responsibility, logical thinking, thoughtful and a self-starter.
· Site Management: Oversee management of production sites for GCG clients. Maximize efficiency and prioritize tasks. Support logistics and manage relationship with onsite food service entity.
· Management of Agriculture: Develop and implement seasonal crop plans and yield estimates, pest and soil fertility management plans. Work with operations team to maintain onsite infrastructure and equipment.
· Administration: Prepare for and document work daily in our online systems, including Google Calendar, Google Forms, and Zoho CRM. Participate as needed in committees.
· Customer Service: Collaborate with account representative(s) for scheduling and customer communications. Communicate with clients onsite to answer questions and solve problems.
· Communication: Work with the Director of Horticulture, Operations, and the Account Coordinator to ensure garden quality and efficient scheduling. Attend regular horticulture department meetings remotely.
· Education: Lead one-on-one and group garden education programs for adults and children at residential, school, corporate wellness, and eldercare sites.
Ideal Qualifications and Skills:
· 2-3 years of experience in farming or professional garden work. Experience with management and leading volunteers. 1 year of farm management experience, including crop planning, production and protection.
· Experience provide product to a food service entity.
· Experience operating farm machinery, including tractors, mowers, sprayers, & tillers. Knowledge of equipment repair and mechanics preferred.
· Ability to uphold a high level of professionalism and demeanor of company standards and policy.
· Basic understanding of managing logistics and equipment to company standards.
· Ability to maintain a safe work place in accordance with company policy.
· Some administrative experience and comfort using technology such as Office, G-Calendar, and CRMs.
· Ability to work flexible schedule (occasional long days, early mornings, Saturdays).
· Detail oriented, with a demonstrated commitment to high quality work.
· Driver’s license required. Use of personal vehicle (reimbursed) required.
Following a conditional offer of employment, GCG requires motor vehicle record checks on all final candidates.
To apply, please attach a resume and send a brief email to email@example.com outlining your experience and desire to be part of our team. Please no calls or emails other than to this address.