Campo Caribe is looking for an enthusiastic candidate who shares a love of growing plants. This person should embrace Campo Caribe’s values of sustainable development and innovation while growing more nutritious food for the Caribbean. Our hope is to find a committed individual who can share in the growing of this new, cutting-edge produce company located in Puerto Rico.
Join a team that embraces innovative plant science, leading to better quality products. This key position is responsible for assisting in all growing operations including water chemistry, food safety, integrated pest management, biologicals, and growth strategies. The position will report directly to the Head Grower.
· Working with the Head Grower to monitor environmental conditions and execute remediation plans – learning how to effectively operate a greenhouse
· Act as the Food Safety Plan Coordinator – Take required courses and stay up to date with all changes to FSMA and relevant food safety regulations
· Implement Food Safety SOPs and Logs to maintain compliance
· Create and help implement worker training documents
· Conduct Food Safety Internal Audits – be familiar with recall procedure
· Act as Integrated Pest Management Coordinator – Take pesticide applicator training to design integrated pest management plan with the assistance of the Head Grower
· Develop SOPs, logs, and implement a schedule to track application of pest management products to control pests in the greenhouse
· Troubleshooting crop issues and diagnose health, damage, or quality issues
· Supervising farm staff in daily tasks
· Oversee Apprentice Grower training – teaching Food Safety and Integrated Pest Management tasks
· B.S. or M.S. in Horticulture, Plant Science, Controlled Environment Science
· 2 years experience in a production environment, preferably in leafy greens and herbs
· Knowledge of pH, EC, dissolved oxygen, relative humidity, temperature, and light
· Pesticide applicator license preferred
· Food Safety Certification preferred
· Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
· A high level of ownership of agricultural operations
· Drive for innovation and continuous improvement
· Ability to problem solve challenges and use available resources
· Excel proficiency
· Extremely well organized
About Campo Caribe:
Campo Caribe is the first large-scale commercial greenhouse producing leafy greens in Puerto Rico, where 80% of produce is currently imported. The facility is state-of-the-art with sustainability at its core. Campo Caribe is planned to be powered by sustainable energy sources free of the island’s power grid. It will grow nutritious produce to supply the island of Puerto Rico.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.