I have been lucky to have lived in seven countries across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Middle East, and attended a variety of schools before settling back down in England to complete my GCSE’s, A-Levels, and degree. As a consequence, I can adapt easily to new situations and places, I enjoy travelling and I love meeting new people. I am very easy going and passionate in what I do. I have just completed my degree at Plymouth University with a 2.1 in my Environmental Science BSc, with a dissertation on a sustainable future using vertical gardens. Sustainable living is where my true passion lies and why I am excited to apply to your company. I am extremely excited at the possibility of starting a career related to this field, and you will find me enthusiastic and willing to make a real difference in pursuing this career.
Achievements and Education
· GCSE’s completed in the U.K at Tanbridge House School (Grades: 6 A’s, 4 B’s and 1C)
· A-Levels completed in the U.K at Collyers college (120 UCAS points)
· Bronze, Silver and Gold Duke Of Edinburgh awards achieved in the Abu Dhabi and U.K
· The Gold DoE residential encouraged me to achieve my Level 1 and Level 2 sailing qualification
· Elected Chairperson of the 240+ netball club in my final year at Plymouth university
o My role as chair allowed me to achieve 8 ambitious development goals that increased involvement, participation and competitive participation in sport
o This clubs vast improvements led to us being awarded club of the year
· Played for the Plymouth University Netball First team for 3 consecutive years leading them to Varsity victories and to move up in the Leagues on 3 occasions
· A variety of sporting awards and student awards throughout my time at school, college and University to help recognize both team work and sporting capability, notably in netball, and football.
· Started a side-business while at university, ‘EcoB’ where I market via social media and sell environmentally friendly start packs online and door to door for people wanting to do their bit for the environment. See here: https://www.facebook.com/bethsecotins/
· My peers consider my social and communications skills as exceptional. For my part though, I consider myself naturally outgoing and having lived and been to school in many different countries, each with different cultures, I find myself today being able to communicate well at every level, and on any occasion.
· In terms of teamwork, and leadership, l have played in sports teams from a very young age which has allowed me to continuously develop my communication skills and confidence as both team member and team leader.
· In my second year at university, I was the club social secretary for the 200 member netball club at the university which I had to organise awards evenings and weekly socials for. In my final year, I was elected chair of the netball club. These have given me the skills and ability to plan events, and work with groups on coordinated projects
· In my third year, I ran a committee of 17 girls as Chairperson of the club. My repertoire of skills and experience broadened considerably as I took responsibility for setting the direction & ambition of the club, and successfully lead the expansion of the club from 200 to almost 300 girls. We subsequently won club of the year, and chairperson of the year awards.
· Solely managed events for one of the university’s largest sports clubs; welcome parties, Christmas balls and awards evenings for 2 consecutive years; tasks include establishing venues, party supplies, meal providers, medals, trophies and invoices.
· Project managed four days of netball trials for 240 girls, allocated training facilities for 21 netball teams, prearranged matches, facilities and umpires for 5 teams each week over the academic year and transport to training and matches for 5 teams. Arranged 240+ girls online payments for insurance and joining fees within 2 weeks.
· Coordinated charity events such as a mixed charity netball tournament and a naked calendar. Raised over £2000 for English Federation of Disability in Sport (EFDS).
· Negotiated and successfully closed sponsorship deals for the University’s netball club with Gatorade, Boston tea party and a real estate agents offering our publicity services in exchange for discounts and free spaces for events.
· Assisted treasurer in updating clubs finances each week in excel.
· Created PowerPoint presentations including a proposal for cutting down the carbon footprint produced by car transport and one during the Malta fieldtrip in which I had to present our findings on seaweed biodiversity research and a poster on comparing past climatic events with current climate change to make future predictions.
· I carried out research including background investigations, literature reviews, secondary data reviews for many presentations and reports. Examples include the Tavy Catchment, the Burrator area’s geology, the A Doreni species, the Wembury catchment, Reverse Osmosis in Malta and weather and climate in the South West of England. I prepared an environment impact assessment and my 10,000 word dissertation on vertical gardens.
· As part of a team, I had to create proposals, for example in reducing global carbon emissions and waste reduction incentives (using waste fruit and veg in smoothies).
· Most resereach and reports included elements of statistical problem solving; eg biodiversity in the A. Doreni report, P values for the uncontaminated land presentation and R values in the weather and climate report. Other tests including ANOVA test, t -tests, Tukey test using Excel
· My own side business selling Eco-friendly starter tins to allow the consumer to minimise their plastic waste.
· Currently work weekends as a princess children’s entertainer. I run 2 hour parties on my own with up to 30 children and positive customer feedback has led me to help train new employees. Have also led to discussions opening my own franchise.
· Homebase cashier (1 year)- Highly commended in customer services through recognition on customer feedback online. Vacancy if returned.
· Krispy Kreme sales assistant (Christmas temp)- Recongised as an asset to the team through sales. Offered a permanent job. Vacancy if returned.
· Tulley’s farm Halloween events host (Halloween/Christmas temp)- Developed leadership ability though briefing new staff and giving health and safety instructions to all visitors. Positive feedback led to extra benefits. Vacancy if returned.
· Recruitment agency (Summer staff )- This included a variety jobs, at events and festivals including Hostess at Ascot, the festival of speed and Wildlife festival. Recognised for exceptional customer service and outgoing personality, the succeeding years moved me into the VIP sections.