49 Chace Ave. Providence, RI 02906 | 818-554-6335 | email@example.com |linkedin.com/in/gracealgeo
Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI May 2018 Bachelor of Science in Biology
Double Minor: Environmental Science, Sustainability Studies
· Member of the TriBeta Biological Honor Society
University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa Spring 2017
· Studied environmental management and global ecology. Conducted environmental impact assessments, risk assessments, and employed GIS for further analysis of potential sustainable development locations in the Gugulethu township. Assisted with the creation of an aquaponic system and permaculture garden for the Lehlonolo Primary School in Gugulethu.
Relevant Course Work: Botany, Limnology, Aquarium System Design and Life Support, Environmental Chemistry, Biostatistics, Human Environmental Change & Sustainability, Analysis & Decision Making for Sustainability, Working Toward Sustainability
Operations Manager, Acopia Harvest International, Central Falls, RI June 2018- Present
· Responsible for all operational aspects of a 300-square-foot hydroponic produce facility capable of producing 40 pounds of lettuce and kale, collectively, per week for two restaurants and the Pawtucket Farmers Market.
· Responsibilities include crop scheduling, quality control, nutrient management, inventory control, troubleshooting plumbing, electrical, and water purification systems, improving the efficiency and sustainability of the operation, creating and implementing Standard Operating Procedures, and training and supervising a team of three plant technicians.
· Establish and maintain relationships with local farms for seed exchange and repurposing all organic waste as compost or livestock feed.
· Design, assemble, maintain, and market individualized hydroponic systems for schools, restaurants, and homes.
Sustainable Urban Agriculture Intern, Bon Appѐtit Management Company, Bristol, RI 2016 – 2018
· Pioneered the designed and construction of two vertical hydroponic systems and an aquaponic system to grow herbs, leafy greens, and edible flowers for BAMCo.
· Partnered with Bon Appetit to establish an internship for RWU students to improve and expand upon the current systems and develop future projects involving sustainable urban agriculture.
· Developed Standard Operating Procedures and growing guide for student successors at RWU.
· Required knowledge of hydroponic and aquaponic system design and function, plant and fish nutritional requirements, biofiltration systems, nutrient cycling, and plant physiology.
Research Assistant, Virginia Institute of Marine Science, Wachapreague, VA 2018
· Researched the effect of spectrum targeted LEDs versus full spectrum T5 fluorescent bulbs on saltwater algae production.
· Collected, analyzed and reported data using R Statistical software for VIMS researchers and future interns.
· Developed experimental procedures for using fluorimeters and spectrophotometers with regards to algae densities.
· Produced technical report for industry algae growers and VIMS scientists.
Microbiology Technician, R.I. Analytical Laboratories, Warwick, RI 2016
· Certified to perform analyses such as BOD, TMF, FMF, HPC, TCDW, and total coliform analysisforwaste waterand drinking water samples.
· Conducted primary data review and entry prior to reporting, prepared media, and calibrated and maintained scientific equipment such as: autoclave, analytical balance, pH meter, and DO meter.
· Communicated test results in reports for clientele.
Sustainability Committee Member, Roger Williams University, Bristol, RI 2017 – 2018
· Research and recommend projects, specifically within the dining sector of the university, to the President and CFO of RWU to advance the sustainability of RWU.
· Evaluated RWU’s sustainability standards and best practices in the dining sector with a focus on food sourcing and waste.
· Received the RWU 2018 Sustainability Award.
· Proficient in data processing software such as GIS, STATISTICA, R, JMP, and Tableau
· Proficient in Adobe Software such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
· James Gubata: Bon Appѐtit General Manager at Roger Williams University: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Marcella Recher: Adjunct Professor for Sustainability Studies at RWU: email@example.com
· Dr. Dale Leavitt: Associate Professor of Biology at RWU: firstname.lastname@example.org