Open minded problem solver, strong in project-based collaborations, and passionate about sustainability. Internship experiences in food waste management and sustainable tourism. STEM graduate who is excellent at holistically analyzing problems and working together as a part of a team to resolve and/or innovate solutions. Known to be flexible and a quick learner in fast paced environments. Experienced year-round indoor farming manager and grower.
Program Management for Sustainable Development November 2017
Sustainable Development Goal Academy May 2017
SoMax Environmental, Spring City, PA 2018 – 2020
• Extensive research of laws, legislation, and waste permits in Pennsylvania.
• Hands-on lab scale pilot operations of sustainability projects including the conversion of organic waste into advanced solid biofuels via Hydrothermal Carbonization (HTC).
• Successfully coordinated presentation titled “Closed Food Loop” given by CEO to Patel College of Global Sustainability at the University of South Florida. Received positive feedback from students and colleagues.
• Arranged and conducted informative tours for interested groups and stakeholders.
Indoor Farming Manager
• Constructed and operated indoor farming systems, including various hydroponic and vertical aeroponic food growing systems, collecting and analyzing data for various systems functions.
• Demonstrated potential for indoor hydroponics/aeroponics to continuously provide local, fresh, healthy food by growing lettuce, herbs, strawberries, tomatoes and microgreens.
• Developed optimum growing conditions based on type of plants.
• Developed and implemented Standard Operational Procedures for indoor farming.
• Created educational time-lapse video of indoor farming which vividly shows the growing process of plants. Received positive reviews from colleagues.
Solar CITIES, Glenmoore, PA and Tampa, FL 2018 – present
Communications & Community Engagement
• Presented at sustainability events, energy expos, PASA, and Penn State, demonstrating the feasibility of small-scale bio-digestion for waste to energy and fertilizer initiatives.
• Create educational and public awareness videos for Solar CITIES. https://solarcities.solutions/
• Populate and manage Solar CITIES Youtube Channel. https://tinyurl.com/tdjqy6x
Sustainability Coordinator & Educator
• Provide a sustainable food waste management and free energy solution for communities.
• Coordinate and lead workshops in numerous locations in PA, NY, and FL.
Tampa Bay Farm to School, Tampa, FL, USA January 2018 – May 2018
• Led food waste audit in two public schools to reduce food waste on campus.
• Coordinate/communicate with partners in food waste and sustainable agriculture programs.
• Manage various social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube.
Sustainability Education Programs
• Little Food Waste Warrior Program – Helped 2nd grade students understand main problems in our current food system by connecting their daily activity by recording the amount of food wasted at home. Gave options of dealing with food waste, encouraging them to be “little food waste warriors”.
• Sustainable Agriculture Program – Guided 4th grade students in understanding the challenge of growing more food with less land to meet growing food demand of the population growth. Introduced the concept of sustainable agriculture, helping 4th grade students understand it as a way to improve society.
Rosebud Continuum Education Center, Land O’Lakes, FL 2017-2018
• Various sustainable projects including setting up vertical gardens, solar panels, and solar hot water systems.
• Educator and tour guide for visitors to the center.
Florida Green Lodging Program, Tampa, FL 2016
• Assessed sustainable efforts were being made at two hotels according to criteria given by Green Lodging Program.
• Gave recommendations for expanding sustainability efforts according to data collected.
University of South Florida Campus Food Waste Recovery Project 2017- present
• Ran feasibility study for use of biodigesters in creating a closed sustainable food loop on campus.
• Co-authored and applied for grant from SGEF (Student Green Energy Fund) in support of University of South Florida and was successfully approved and funded.
• Successfully coordinated and held grant funded workshop, building 6 small-scale anaerobic digesters as an option for turning food waste into clean energy and nutrient dense fertilizer.
• Worked as alumni consultant to keep track of ongoing research.
• The project provided the option to reduce food waste on campus, as well as an opportunity to raise awareness of food security and the amount of food waste on campus.
• Link to project details: https://tinyurl.com/rlvfxs4
M.A., Global Sustainability, University of South Florida, GPA 3.83/4.00 May 2018
B.A., English Literature, Minor Economics, Shanghai Normal University June 2007
LANGUAGES AND SKILLS
• Native in Mandarin, fluent in English
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Camtasia (video editing)
• Public speaking/Teaching