Greenhouse Manager – Seed Potato Germplasm Program – University of Idaho
· Manage operations of the seed potato greenhouses including maintenance of equipment and facilities, planting and harvesting operations, tuber storage and shipping, purchasing supplies, applying pesticides, and customer relations.
· Planned and executed transition from conventional growing to hydroponic production in response to discovery of powdery scab pathogen in peat moss potting mix. Designed and built Nutrient Film Technique (NFT) and Ebb and Flow hydroponic test systems for production upgrades.
· Assisted in tissue culture operations by performing plant propagation using sterile technique, making tissue culture media, and ensuring varietal integrity of plantlets.
· Designed, planned, and executed upgrades to greenhouses at the Parker Farm for hydroponic minituber production. Resulting Ebb and Flow hydroponic systems led to a significant decrease in production costs and cropping times, increases in yields, tuber quality, and efficiency. The systems were designed to be a testbed for the future SPGP Controlled Environment Ag Facility. Notable custom-built systems include reverse osmosis filtration systems, nutrient proportioners, custom nutrient solutions and nutritional programs, LED lighting fixtures, and cold storage rooms.
· Designed and built LED lighting fixtures for Seed Potato Germplasm Laboratory.
· Converted cold storage into a Controlled Environment Room using an Arduino microcontroller with custom-written code.
· Certified as a Forklift Safety Trainer.
6th Street Greenhouse Assistant Manager – University of Idaho
June 2015-March 2016
● Assisted in the daily operations of the 6th St. Greenhouse, duties including customer service, custodial, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and miscellaneous repair.
● Operated the ARGUS environmental control software to meet the specific needs of greenhouse users.
● Scouted and applied pesticidal sprays for greenhouse pests and fungal pathogens.
● Developed an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program.
● Worked closely with Principal Investigators and their workers to achieve environmental and pest control goals.
Cyber Systems Operations Technician – U.S. Air Force
Apr. 2007-Aug 2011
● Cyber Systems Operations (Eglin AFB, FL): Maintained base’s firewalls & proxy servers.
● Small Computers Repair Technician (Kandahar, Afghanistan): Led a team tasked to maintain and repair all Air Force desktop computer systems on the base.
· Advisor for the Hydroponics Club, teaching students about hydroponic production.
· Contribute to University of Idaho Extension by presenting classes to Latah and Benewah County Extension programs.
· Designed and built hydroponic systems for PLSC 102 “Science of Plants in Agriculture” class. Taught lab sections.
· Planned and built a novel hydroponic system in the 6th Street Greenhouse for a researcher studying Stress Responses of Transgenic Tomatoes using a NIFA Grant.
· Contribute to University outreach goals by giving tours of greenhouse facilities to students, visitors, and community groups.
· Advised two 4-H Robotics teams participating in state-wide First Lego League. Projects focused on hydroponic vegetable production in space.
B.S. Interdisciplinary Studies May 2017
University of Idaho
Controlled Environment Agriculture Short Course March 2018
University of Arizona
Modern Standard Arabic Basic Course Oct. 2008
Defense Language Institute
Presidio of Monterey, CA
Awards & Accomplishments
ASUI Club Advisor of the Year – 2019
Air Force Achievement Medal -Twice awarded
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with One Service Star